Solar panels capitalize on the power of the sun in order to generate electricity for your home. This process of creating electrical energy that can be used in your home includes the following steps:
- The panels absorb sunlight which causes photons and electrons to interact. This results in an electrical current.
- The electrical current is sent from the panels to your solar inverter, where it is transformed into usable energy for your home.
- The usable electricity flows from the inverter to your breaker box, which circulates it throughout your home to power anything using electricity.
- Any electricity that you don’t use gets sent back to your utility meter and is stored there to be used later. Depending on your area, this extra electricity can also be sold back to the grid and used to earn energy credits on your next electric bill through net metering.
Benefits Of Solar In Harrisburg
There are a number of reasons to consider solar for your Harrisburg home. In addition to the potential financial benefits, there are environmental factors and the potential for a long-term return on your investment.
- Own Your Power — You can protect your home and family from the effects of rising energy costs by generating your own electricity. When you own your power, you are less reliant on the grid and can avoid paying more than you need to in higher energy costs.
- Potentially Reduce Your Electric Bill — Because you are able to create your own electricity, your solar panels can potentially save you thousands of dollars on your electric bills over the years.
- Qualify For Federal Tax Credit –Harrisburg homeowners can currently claim a federal tax credit of up to 26% for installing solar panels on their property.5
- Potentially Increase Your Property’s Value — As solar power becomes more mainstream, more people see the benefits of having a built-in system designed to generate clean electricity. Studies show that solar panel systems can add to your home’s value, which means you might get an increased return on investment if you choose to sell your home.
- Reduce Your Carbon Footprint — Solar energy is a clean and renewable alternative to fossil fuels that will reduce your carbon footprint and allow you to do your part for our planet.
What Happens To Excess Solar Energy?
It’s possible that at times, your solar panels will be able to produce more electricity than your home needs. If you don’t use all of the electricity that your system produces, there are a couple of ways that you can utilize it.
Store excess energy in a backup battery.3
If your panels produce excess energy, the extra power can be stored in your Generac battery backup to be used in the event of a grid power outage or at night when your panels are not producing any electricity. In addition, the stored energy can fill the gaps when your home’s solar panels are not producing at full capacity.
Use excess energy via net metering.
Net metering is the process of sending extra energy that your solar panels produce back to the grid in exchange for credits on future electric bills. If your panels produce extra energy, you can be credited for the energy you sell back (often at a 1-to-1 ratio), meaning that you sell it back at the same price you would buy it. This is a great incentive for using solar energy, but it’s important to note that some utility companies do not offer net metering. Availability, excess credits and other requirements vary by area and utility providers.
Solar Panel Installation In Harrisburg
As the leader in solar panel installation in Harrisburg, PA, our team has created a process that makes adding solar simple.
- You can begin by requesting a free quote. When your request comes through, one of our solar experts will get back to you to discuss how solar will work for your home. We’ll evaluate your home’s electric consumption and ensure that you’re a good candidate for solar panels. The final step will be to schedule your free in-home consultation.
- A member of our experienced solar team will visit your home in person to determine what type of solar panel system will work best for you. Based on our in-person analysis, we’ll create a custom proposal based on your home’s unique energy needs. Once you’ve signed your contract, we’ll get to work on preparing for installation!
- On the day of the installation, we’ll get to your home on time and start to carefully install your solar panels, strategically ensuring that there is no damage to your roof or home. The full installation usually only takes a day or two. We’ll also test your system to make sure everything is operating at full capacity and clean up our workspace when we’ve finished up.
Cost Of Solar
Adding solar to your Harrisburg home is more affordable than ever before! The cost of a solar system depends on the size of your Pennsylvania home, energy usage and energy goals. With the help of our solar experts, we are able to develop a customized solution for your home, including how many solar panels you need.
The cost of solar panels is calculated based on dollars per watt. We calculate the number of panels you need based on the number of watts your Harrisburg home typically uses. Once we have that number, we can effectively design a custom solar solution for your home.
Your Harrisburg Solar Panel Installation Cost Includes The Following:
This includes the solar panels, inverters, wiring, conduit, mounting racks and mounting hardware.
A Custom Solar System
Once you sign the contract, our team begins designing a system, filing the relevant permits and proceeding with the setup for your installation.
A Time And Date For Your Installation
On the day of installation, our team carefully installs and tests your system to ensure that it’s working properly, then cleans up your property as though we were never there!
Solar Panel FAQs
Solar panels operate using the power of the sun. Once sunlight hits the panels, electrons come loose from their atoms, forming an electrical circuit with the conductors in solar cells. These electrons traveling through the circuit create electricity.
Typically, a solar panel’s lifetime is about 25 years with proper care and maintenance. POWERHOME SOLAR’s panels fall into this timeline; our panels last about 25 years.
How many solar panels are needed for your home depends on several factors: your electricity usage, how much shade your roof receives, your location, and the size of your home. Other factors may play a role in determining how many panels are necessary, but these are the most common.
Clouds do not stop sunlight from reaching your solar panels. Even if you live in one of the cloudiest parts of the country, you’ll be able to make use of solar panels. It is worth noting that solar panels will not produce the same amount of electricity as locations that receive mostly sunny days.
No, though that is the easiest way to generate electricity. As long as the sun is out, even if you can’t see it yourself, your solar panels will be working.
We recommend your solar panels face south or west, as those directions get the most direct sun exposure. If your roof does not face in that direction, though, you can still produce electricity with solar panels!
Simple is best when it comes to cleaning your solar panels. Some clean water and a sponge or small towel will work in most cases. Do not use pressure washers on solar panels, as this can damage them.
During an outage, you can make use of the energy from your solar panels by using a battery backup system. That will power up select portions of your home, enough to keep limited backup loads running for a limited amount of time.
There is no one true way to keep snow off your solar panels. However, since solar panels are installed where they will get the most sun, snow should melt off with time once the sun does its work.
Yes! POWERHOME SOLAR’s panels are protected with a sheet of glass. That glass covers up the delicate working parts that create the solar panels, so water is no trouble at all for your panels.